The Kroc Center is home to many special events throughout the year—from concerts, to sports competitions, to class opportunities. View our upcoming classes and programs below.
CALL FOR ARTISTS
The Kroc Center is accepting art entries for upcoming art exhibits. Artist calls are ongoing throughout the year. We are also accepting solo exhibition inquiries for 2022. If interested in participating in a group or solo show, submit a letter of interest and digital representation of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. See the 2021 exhibition calendar below:
Memphis Black Artist Expo (Feb 26 – March 26)
An annual group exhibition that showcases local black Memphis artists.
Submission Deadline: Feb 17th
April Showers (April 9 – May 21)
This show considers the growth, emotion, and experiences that traverse our lives in seasons to create calm, bring about change, or inspire through a variety of media.
Submission Deadline: March 31st
Portraits (May 28 – July 9)
A portrait is worth a thousand words. There is so much a single portrait can convey with a nuanced glance, or hidden gems that symbolize a deeper meaning. What is the theme of your portraiture?
Submission Deadline: May 25th
Celebrate Summer – Youth Exhibition (July 16 – Aug 27)
What do you enjoy most about summer? Show us your favorite thing to do, place to visit, or what makes summer fun in this Youth art show for artists ages 7-17 years.
Submission Deadline: July 7th
Illustrators are Storytellers: Group Illustration Show (Sept 3 – Oct 15)
Illustrators are storytellers. The art of Illustration is distinct in that it can take on a variety of styles – from graphic to whimsical and anywhere in between. It’s all in how you layer on the details to express your narrative. What spin do you put on your style to make it unique? What story are you telling?
Submission Deadline: August 25th
Food Art (Oct 22 – Dec 3)
We love to see it, and even more, we love to eat it! This group exhibition showcases art so good it makes your mouth water.
Submission Deadline: October 13th
Christmas Show (Dec 10 – Jan 21)
It’s Christmas time at the Kroc! And we’re decking the halls with art that brings hope, happiness and love.
Submission Deadline: December 1st
Black Art Exhibit – On Display FEB 26 – MAR 26
The Kroc Center of Memphis is pleased to present a group exhibition showcasing local black artists Friday, February 26 through Friday, March 26, 2021. A virtual gallery walkthrough will be held Friday, February 26, 6 p.m. CST, with virtual artists’ talks Thursday, March 11, 6-7 p.m. CST. Find details for listening to artists’ talks below.
Some of the artists featured in the one month expo will be: Toonky Berry, Dr. Brenda Caldwell, Amber Williams, Kiara Sally, Naima Overton, Sonya Coleman, Whitney Rhodes, and Therrious Davis. Artists’ pieces highlight conventional and unconventional techniques with a variety of paintings, illustration, and mixed media.
“The purpose of the expo is to increase awareness of black artists in our community, especially at a time when art shows are hard to come by,” says Samilia Colar, Marketing Coordinator, Kroc Memphis. “It is important to showcase Black art because this work has been frequently underrepresented. This exhibition will give the artists increased exposure, while broadening our members to new artists to patronize.”
The exhibition is open to the public during Kroc’s business hours. Covid-19 building restrictions enforced.
VIRTUAL ARTIST TALK – Thursday, March 11, 6-7pm CST via Teams
Click below to view the artist talk video.
Virtual Panel Discussion – March 9th, 1-2 PM, CST
AIM TO MAINTAIN – Virtual Holiday Challenge
- LIKE the Kroc Center of Memphis Facebook Page.
- LIKE the Baptist Memorial Health Care Facebook page(s) – Main page or Entity pages.
- Tag @krocmemphis and use #AimToMaintain in a post or photo completing a challenge on your page or story (Facebook or Instagram). You will gain one entry for every post or story we are tagged in per challenge, regardless of platform.
Holiday Hours: December 2020
- Thursday, Dec. 24 | OPEN 9am-5pm | No Group Exercise Classes
- Friday, Dec. 25 | CLOSED for Christmas
- Thursday, Dec. 31 | OPEN 9am-5pm | No Group Exercise Classes
- Friday, Jan. 1, 2021| OPEN 9am-5pm | No Group Exercise Classes
Mask Mandate – Shelby County Health Order and Directive No. 15
- Masks must be worn at all times while inside the Kroc Center facility. This includes while exercising in classes, on both fitness floors, in recreational activities and all programs. The only exception to this interim policy is while swimming or showering in the family changing rooms.
- The Hot Tub is closed until further notice.
- Due to the potential health risks associated with wearing a mask and high-intensity group exercise classes, we have modified our schedule, which you may find here:
- In-person Group Fitness and Virtual Fitness.
Kroc Academy – Virtual Support
The Salvation Army Kroc Academy is your childcare solution for virtual learning support. We provide a safe, clean, and caring environment for student learning outside of the typical classroom. For more info and to enroll your student, click here!
COVID-19 Response Updates
- Capacity Increase– We have increased the capacity in our three fitness equipment areas to accommodate more visitors while maintaining safe social distancing.
- Group Exercise Capacity– We have increased the capacity in our group exercise spaces. We ask that you still reserve your space in the class ahead of time, but if it is not full you may drop-in.
- Fitness Equipment Reservations– Due to an increase in capacity and to allow for ease and flexibility to your visit, we will be modifying the way you navigate accessing the three Fitness Equipment spaces. Most facility hours we will no longer require you to make an appointment and you may drop in at any time. We will enforce capacity in all areas and continue our hourly cleaning schedule. The only exception will be on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:45am-2pm. During those times we will continue doing reservation only sessions that begin at the top of every hour. This will allow us to accommodate both flexibility and structured times.
Dear Kroc Community,
STAYING SAFE TOGETHER
As we prepare to reopen our wellness center on Monday, May 11, the Kroc Center is adhering to the phase 1 framework and implementing the following safety protocols in an effort to reduce the health risks for members, staff and other visitors to our facility.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
Single Entry/Exit: To help us maintain our safety protocols, we will maintain a single entry/exit point at our location.
Regular Temperature Checks: Both staff and members will receive temperature checks before being allowed to start their work shift or to check into the facility.
PPE for All Staff: All staff will be required to wear masks and other personal protective equipment.
Self-Scan: Members will be asked to self-scan to allow for limited contact entry.
Designed for Social Distance: All open areas inside the Kroc have been evaluated and redesigned where necessary to help ensure social distancing between members. Signage will be placed prominently throughout the facility to drive awareness of this requirement.
HOW WE’RE ASKING MEMBERS TO HELP MAINTAIN SAFETY
The Kroc Center appreciates your support adhering to the following safety precautions during this time:
Stay Home if You’re Sick: Members should stay home if they don’t feel well. The CDC and state public health officials encourage seniors and members of vulnerable populations, including those with underlying health conditions, to stay at home.
Be Ready for Temperature Checks: All members will have their temperature taken prior to check in. We will also ask you five health screening questions when you enter the center.
Plan Your Visit: We must adhere to set capacities for 45 minute blocks of time, so make reservations for when you plan to visit the Kroc Center for Fitness or Child Watch.
Refrain from Using the Locker Room: Changing rooms and showers will remain closed at this time. Signage will be posted directing you to the nearest restroom.
Bring a Towel, a Mask and a Water Bottle: Members should plan to bring their own water bottle and a workout towel per each visit. All members will be asked to sanitize their hands before entry at a station provided by the Kroc Center. We also request that members bring a mask and wear it whenever possible, especially in common areas where other members are present.
Keep Your Distance: Cardio/Weight equipment has been rearranged so that members can continue to keep social distancing standards. Equipment should always stay in the designated areas. Respect all signage regarding social distancing. Strive to maintain at least six feet between you and others whenever possible.
Expect Reduced Capacity: To ensure proper social distancing, our wellness areas will have a limited capacity of 25%. Active members can sign up for a 45-minute workout block by going to our website and clicking the link to reserve a spot.
Remember to Wipe Down Equipment: Please help us reduce the risk of exposure by wiping down all equipment, weights, mats, etc., with the provided cleaning materials.
HOW WE’RE ASKING MEMBERS TO PLAN THEIR VISIT
To help us adhere to capacity restrictions and plan for proper cleaning of our facility and equipment, you will need to place a reservation for when you plan to use the space. Reservations begin at the top of the hour and last for 45 minutes. After the 45 minutes you will be asked to leave the area so we can clean. You may arrive up to 15 minutes before your scheduled reservation.
If you do not make a reservation, we cannot guarantee there will be space for you.
NOTE: We have moved fitness equipment around to new areas of the building to create more space between pieces of equipment.
Services Offered On-site:
Fitness Area 1– The main fitness floor. Treadmills, Recumbent Bikes, Weight machines, cable machines, Functional Training Equipment
Fitness Area 2– The third floor of the challenge center. Ellipticals, AMTs, Jacobs Ladder, Stair Steppers, Spin Bikes, Rowers, GHDs, Dumbbells, Medicine Balls, Slam Balls, Dumbbells, Bench Press, Functional Training area
Fitness Area 3– The indoor sport court. Free weights (barbells & dumbbells), olympic benches, squat racks, mats, functional training area, Rowers, Spin Bikes, Performance treadmills, bench press, squat racks
Child Watch Express– 45 minute classes of Squeaky Sneakers, Kid Fit, Story Time, or Arts & Crafts. For ages 4-12 only.
Lobby Workspace or Lounge Seating
Sunday Worship Services
Online Group Exercise Classes– Streaming free from our Facebook Page.
If you opted in to reactivate your membership you can receive at home weight equipment until we are reopened to full capacity.
Online Personal Training
Questions? Call 901-729-8007 or email at email@example.com
If You Would Like to Contribute
Be Part of the Solution
- We are doing our part to help contain spreading of the virus by closing member operations and allowing administrative staff to work from home.
- While our facility is closed, we are in discussions with several agencies that may be able to utilize our building and/or grounds to offer resources to those in need within our community.
Continue to Serve
- We are committed to continuing to serve you through our social media and online platforms. We will continue to offer fitness classes, worship services and are in the process of developing additional resources that we can offer you and your families. We will continue to communicate the scheduling of those offerings as they become available.
- Our Kroc Church has the opportunity to serve meals to the homeless through our Canteen Ministry.
- We are sharing more staff and resources with our Purdue Center of Hope, which is a long-term residence of rehabilitation and restoration for homeless women and children in Memphis.
Support Staff & Remain Prepared for Reopening
- We have an interim compensation plan for all our staff and are doing our best to pay as many of them for as long as possible.
- We are committed to reopening our doors as soon as local government and CDC guidance allows for increased congregating.
How You Can Help
For those that wish to donate, you may do so here.
In light of the national developments and rapidly changing conditions regarding the spread of COVID-19 (commonly referred to as coronavirus), the Kroc Center of Memphis has temporarily suspended all public programming and operations effective immediately. As risks have increased regarding community spread of COVID-19 across Memphis and the Mid-South, we have considered all options and have ultimately decided to follow CDC guidelines to limit public exposures. As such, all activity, with the exception of Spring Break camp, will be suspended in our building effective Monday, March 16. Spring Break Camp will be held March 16-17 only.
There’s always something to do!
The Kroc Center offers a variety of daily and weekly classes. Click through our Program Guides to learn more.
Check out the Fitness Program Guide for FREE PASS SATURDAYS & FITNESS LAUNCH dates – these are even open to the public! We are open our normal operating hours, unless otherwise posted. For HOLIDAY CLOSURES, please view the Membership Program Guide. And for up-to-date text alerts regarding cancellations, closures, or changes, text NEWS to 51555.
You can also follow us on social media @krocmemphis, and register for our newsletter at the bottom of our website.